Monday, April 19, 2010

Why NOT me?

“Why me?” I’ve heard many people utter these two simple words in regards to a variety of issues. Whether it was work related, centered around a failed relationship, or dealing with tragedy, I think asking “why me” is a natural reaction for many. Lately, though, I’ve been thinking the exact opposite. “Why NOT me?”

About a week ago, I participated in Relay for Life. I’ve had never actually attended an event before, but it was inspiring. Prior to the event beginning, we had the opportunity to hear from both cancer survivors and family members of those who died of cancer. Their stories were moving. While they were speaking, I kept wondering why not me? Why have I not been directly impacted by a disease that 1 in 3 Americans will have? That thought lead to another. Why have I been so blessed, so fortunate? What have I done to deserve such a wonderful life? I immediately began to pray, and I couldn’t help but thank God for the blessings He’s given me.

The same emotions overtook me two days later at church. Why NOT me? My life has been incredibly rewarding and wonderful, and I’m left to wonder why haven’t been faced with many of the trials and challenges that many others have? I know it seems like a strange thing to think about, but thinking about that question allows me to ponder how I live my life. I’m a person that believes that our paths are pre-determined. I believe that, ultimately, God has determined that path for me. That’s a scary thought, but it is the thought that sustains me and give me peace of mind when I’m scared and questioning everything around me.

I’m a lucky man. Maybe blessed is a more appropriate word. But I get the message. I promise that I’ll do my best to take advantage of the life I’ve been given, I’ll continue to work my hardest, and continue to never take one moment for granted. I get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment