Sunday, August 9, 2009

Lesson Learned

“A little understanding.  A little sensitivity.  A little open-mindedness.  A little empathy.”

Today in class, the example speech provided listeners with this very clear message.  As the speaker offered a view of his perspective between despair and hope, I found myself reflecting upon my summer and the personal struggles that I have faced.

This experience has been a blessing in many ways.  I have learned a great deal about myself, and I’ve also learned a great deal about others.  I’ve learned that, quite often, I allow self-doubt to control me.  I’ve learned that sometimes people only want to see one side of a situation. I’ve learned that just because something is different and makes you uncomfortable, doesn’t make it a bad thing.  I’ve learned that I sometimes allow others viewpoints to affect my ability to be myself.  I’ve learned that I am more liberal and open-minded than I give myself credit for.  I appreciate the challenges this experience has provided me, both professionally and personally.  I have grown so much this summer.

Please do not read into any of my personal revelations.  They aren’t about people.  They are about situations.  They are a result of my reflection and prayer.  They are about me.

Last night, I found myself facing another personal growth opportunity.  I decided to appear “visible” on Facebook chat.  I dislike doing this particularly because you can’t “hide.”  I am sure that most of you can relate to what I’m talking about.  Anyways…soon I received a message from an old acquaintance that inquired about my summer.  The conversation began very innocently, but the tone changed as this individual began to make references towards Muslims.

  I’m sure you can imagine the stereotypical references that were made.  I was highly offended!  I won’t go into details, but I can tell you the conversation ended when I said that I did not need (nor want) people in my life that were prejudice and not willing to learn from those that are different. 

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about”

That conversation forced further reflection, and I began to recall times in my life when I’ve might have been ignorant.  Did I seek information in order to make my decision?    Did I base my viewpoint solely on emotion?  Was I willing to see both sides of the situation?  Did I suspend judgment or not?  What was the result?

My “friend” on Facebook reminded me that life is about challenging myself (and others) to keep an open mind before judgment is passed.  Even though the conversation ended a relationship, I am thankful for the lesson I learned in the process.  I am left to wonder if each of us exhibited a little more understanding, a little more sensitivity, a little more open-mindedness, and a little more empathy, how much happier we all might be.

Frustrated. 

For lack of a better word, class has been frustrating.  Besides simply being forced to “cover” material, I have been very frustrated with my students.  I was at my wits end last week.

Class begins promptly at 10:15 a.m.  Last Tuesday at 10:14, there were three students present.  The others casually stroll in between 10:16 and 10:25.  No apologies.  No excuses.  Those that know me know that one of my greatest pet peeves is being late.  In my world, lateness is neither tolerated nor accepted.  The kicker was that we also began class with a quiz that day.  Who comes late to the class on the day of a quiz?  I was floored.

I probably allowed my emotions to control me at that point.  I reemphasized the importance of time.  I shared my frustrations and the lack of respect that being late communicates, towards the class and myself.  I also reminded them this is a university course, and I would not tolerate such behavior.  I felt as if I was talking to my first hour freshman back in Ark City. 

I get the impression, that for some students here, school is not a necessity but merely an entitlement.  They are entitled to this degree and to attend this school, and they do not necessarily need the degree.  This is very frustrating to me. 

My dad has always told me the one thing that could never be taken away from a person is their education.  I believe that statement wholeheartedly!  My wish is the same wish that I had when I taught high school…  education is a privilege and a means to better yourself and the world.  I just wish my students would see that.  Education is not an entitlement for a few.  It’s the entitlement for everyone!  Unfortunately, I’m not sure that people here would agree with that. 

To add to my frustration, I had one student miss her presentation this past week.  If you miss a presentation, you get a zero…no questions asked.  Today, she stopped by my office to inquire about her grade, and I informed her that she could still pass the course, but the best grade should would get was a D.  She didn’t take kindly to this information.  She told me that she felt she didn’t deserve a D.  What?  You don’t deserve a D?  Again, I was shocked and immediately became defensive.  I informed her that grades are earned based upon points, and the points do not lie.  I continue to be amazed that some students feel as if they “deserve” a certain grade without putting forth the same effort as others.  Is this a cultural difference?  Is this a Kuwaiti thing?  Is this a campus trend?  I definitely don’t have the answer to that question.

Needless to say, this block has provided new challenges.  I am thankful for the students I have that ARE empowered and involved in their education.  I am also looking forward to returning

to Virginia Tech and working with students there.

On a lighter note…other items of interest.

Dunkin’ Donuts.  Nope.  Still not open, but there’s been activity for each of the past five or six days.  On a side note, I read an article that said the coffee at Dunkin’ Donuts was preferred to

 McDonalds (and their new McCafe) and even Starbucks.  I’ll have to try it someday.

Dust Experiment.  For those of you awaiting the results, I’m sorry to report I’ve given up on the experiment.  I’ll blame it on Emily who sat down on the experimental side of the table.  Okay, she really didn’t ruin it.  I’ve just lost interest.

No more Weeds.  We have completed our three seasons of Weeds.  The good news is that I’ve already Netflixed Season 4.  The first disc should be awaiting me at FAT when I return.

Ready.  I ready to head home.  T-minus nine days until we leave Kuwait.  

No comments:

Post a Comment