Monday, August 17, 2009

Coming to America.

Finally.  After 65 days, we will be leaving Kuwait tomorrow.  When I think about it, nine weeks isn’t an incredibly long period of time.  Even so, I’m looking forward to getting back to my reality.  I think Emily summed it up best:  “If you want to find a way to get excited about school starting, spend the summer in Kuwait.”  Well said my friend.  Well said. 

I told everyone my decision to come to Kuwait was mainly professional.  I mean, I had to find a way to sell my family on the idea.  Yes, I hope this experience will help me professionally, but the experience has become very personal as well.  I’ve been able to experience a part of the world that normally I wouldn’t have.  I am leaving with a greater sense of self, a greater sense of the world, and a greater sense of an entirely different culture.  But, will I miss Kuwait?  In the words of Bon Qui Qui, “don’t get crazy.”

Final week of class

After my “pep talk,” the girls were much better at being on time.  In fact, we were even able to start class yesterday, TWO MINUTES early!  Talk about a feeling of accomplishment!  Sometimes, it’s the small victories that we can relish. 

Because of our flight schedule, we were forced to cover the content in 16 days.  Needless to say, it was tough.  There is a large part of me that feels very guilty.  I’m aware that my teaching performance was less than stellar.  The combination of the term length and student attitudes affected my teaching.  I tried my best, and I hope that my students learned something during the course. 

The third presentations (collaborative presentation) were very good.  The groups did a great job researching and presenting their topics.  The class selected gergean (the Ramadan version of Halloween), geisha, and Failaka Island (an Island off of Kuwait).  I was impressed with the girls’ ability to work together to create engaging and informative presentations. 

Their final presentations (persuasive) were yesterday, and I was not nearly as impressed.  The topics varied (benefits of exercise, using marijuana as medicine, death penalty, dangers of plastic surgery, the benefits of early marriage, etc), but again, I noticed that most students lacked specific evidence to support their claims.  I am left to wonder if it’s a cultural issue or a laziness issue.  Is it because they have been raised to not question authority?  I know that I’ll not find the answer to that question in my remaining time here.

The students here are much different than students in America.  The culture of the university is also very different.  This experience taught me valuable lessons about international higher education, and it has also made me thankful for my students at Virginia Tech. 

Here are some pictures of the AUK campus…


The view after one of the entrances to campus.  AUK is a gated campus, and in order to enter, you have to show proper identification.

Another view of the landscape on campus

Yes, they have a Mac store on campus.  

The Liberal Arts building is where my office was located and where my class was held.

The Final Countdown

The remainder of today and tomorrow will be about logistics.  Today, we are going to exchange our Kuwaiti Dinar into dollars, and we’ll have dinner on the town.  Tomorrow will be about packing, cleaning, and checking out of our apartments.  Our taxi is scheduled to pick us up around 6pm, inshallah.  We depart Kuwait at 8:55 p.m. and travel through Bahrain, Amsterdam, and Atlanta.  We are scheduled to arrive in Roanoke at approximately 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday.

The past two weeks have gone quickly, but also slowly.  Weeks tend to go fast, and the weekends drag!  Talk about a contrasting view of reality!  This past weekend, Jill and I went to see the Fires of Kuwait in the IMAX Theater.  I was very glad we decided to see it.  It gave a first-hand look at the destruction that occurred in the Kuwaiti oil fields after the Iraqi invasion.  As part of Saddam’s plan to destroy Kuwait, they lit most of the oil wells on fire.  After the invasion, many thought it would take up to five years to stop the fires.  With assistance from crews around the world, the fires were contained in nine months.  I can’t imagine witnessing such a tragedy. 

Seeing this movie made me appreciate the Kuwaiti resilience after the invasion.   The invasion occurred nearly twenty years ago, and I believe the country has done a remarkable job rebuilding.  At the same time, there are still many reminders of the invasion.  Directly across from campus, there remains a bombed out area.  Why?  There are many shops in downtown Salmiya that remain destroyed.  Why?  Again, that is probably not a question I can answer.

This building is located directly across campus.  It's a visible reminder of Kuwait's past

As we leave Kuwait, many ask if we will come back.  My immediate response is no, but I remind myself to never say never.  I can let you know that if are you looking for happening places in the Middle East, you might look outside of Kuwait. 

The final items of interest.

Dunkin’ Donuts.  It didn’t happen.  I did learn that there is a new Dunkin’ Donuts in Blacksburg.  I think I might have to try it out.  I hope that Amy lets me know when the one on Amman Street finally opens up.

Starbucks.  My original plan was to visit Starbucks on Sundays and Thursdays.  The past couple of weeks, it was more than two days.  It never got out of hand, but I was there enough for them to know my drink and my name.  I told Jill yesterday, for me, Starbucks was where I could go and feel like I was back home.  It was familiar and comfortable and provided a great place for people watching.  I’ll definitely miss Francis and the crew, but I’m already making plans for my visit venti Iced Coffee in the ‘Burg.

Normality.  It’s hard to believe that once we get back, we have less than five days to readjust before we begin classes.  There are many things that I am looking forward to doing once I get back to the states.  At the top of the list are driving my Jeep, doing laundry, and being able to sit outside while having drinks with friends.  Let the madness begin!

Blogging.  I’m always surprised that people actually read and enjoy reading my blogs.  I’ve definitely found it a valuable way to document my time here in Kuwait.  Will I continue?  I’m sure I will, but I don’t feel like my life in Blacksburg will require such frequent entries.  I’ll do my best!

2 comments:

  1. The fact that you quoted Bon Qui Qui, reaffirms one of the reasons why I enjoy our friendship! Glad you enjoyed yourself (as much as possible) and will be stateside soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be sure to let you know the minute Dunkin Donuts opens! I'm hoping it's soon as it would greatly improve my mood now that I'm back in the sandbox. I've loved reading your blog entries...so interesting seeing how other people experience this world! Hope the flight back is painless (we probably passed each other on 5th ring road!!). ~Amy

    ReplyDelete