Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Independence Day


Celebrating America’s Independence Day in Kuwait was definitely different. For me, the 4th of July has always meant spending time with my family and friends. Some years it involves a lake, a boat, or a pool. There are barbeques, fireworks, and a sense of patriotism. This year, there was no lake, no boats, and definitely no pools. We went without a barbeque and fireworks, but for me, there was definitely a sense of patriotism. Living in another country continues to teach me many things, but it also reaffirms my pride in being an American. I am proud to be an American.

Our 4th of July celebration involved cooking the “typical” food you might find at a barbeque. We had burgers. The label said “American Beef,” but I was not allowed to read the ingredients out loud. We had baked beans. We had pasta salad, fruit salad, and cheesy potatoes. We had chips, salsa, and refried bean roll-ups. To top off the meal, we had homemade apple crisp. The food was fantastic!

Had we been at home, our celebrations might have been slightly different. Even so, it was a great way to honor America and those that have fought (and still are fighting) for our independence. No matter your political affiliation, I hope the 4th of July reminded you of those who have made the ultimately sacrifice for our country.

Traditional Kuwaiti Food
We finally headed out for a traditional Kuwaiti meal based on my students’ recommendation. As we walked in, I could tell this would be a great experience. We sat down and immediately were served something sweet. I would describe it as doughnut balls covered in syrup. Very tasty, but I couldn’t help but think that they should be covered in powdered sugar. We ordered several appetizers…hummus, grape leaves, and tabbouleh (تبولة‎). For my main course I ordered machbous (مجبوس). Machbous is a meat dish served over rice. I chose chicken instead of mutton, and I think I made the right choice. The main dish was quite tasty. All of the chicken I have eaten here is on the bone. At home, I pretty much stick to boneless, skinless chicken, so getting a half chicken on my plate is a definitely something new.

The best part of the meal was when we got our check. Six of us ate for less than 15 KD…that means we each spent around 2.5 KD for appetizers, our meal, and our drinks. That equates to less than $9 per person! I’d say that was a successful meal!

Second Week of Class
My class continues to go well, and honestly, it’s among my favorite experiences so far. The two hours I teach seems to go very quickly, and my students are still very polite and considerate.

We’ve had two presentations, and I have seen improvement. We really focused on introductions this past week, and I can say they were ten times better. I’ve noticed that my students tend to use filler words (uh, um) quite frequently when speaking. Their tendency is to use those words if they are having issues with the translation. For the most part, my class has adequate English skills. There are a couple of students that do not speak fluent English, and I am sure that having a public speaking course was rather frightening to them. Even so, they are doing their best and seem to be trying hard.

As I continue to learn about this culture, I can begin to see a greater value in teaching women public speaking. While is it important that men and woman refine these skills, I believe it’s imperative for women in this culture to be able to stand and speak effectively and fluently. I’ve have told them I envision them being women that can stand up, share their opinions and ideas and others will listen! The first time I made that statement, they applauded me. That is definitely something that has never happened it the states!

While the students are improving, I worry that the rigor is not where it needs to be. There is so much information to cover in a short period of time, that it’s very challenging to get deep into the content. We have weekly quizzes, and my students struggle with them. They are mainly knowledge questions, and we still have a class average of 7/10. We have made this week’s quiz twenty questions, and we have included higher level thinking questions as well. We’ll see how it goes.

Other items of interest
Dunkin’ Donuts. We’ve had progress!!! We got home from work one day, and Emily came running up the stairs and told me that I had to look across the street. They have replaced the sign on the sheet rock. It’s glorious. Now, I’m not sure what’s happening on the inside, but I just know that I’ll get an iced coffee from there soon!

Meredith’s Birthday. Today is Meredith’s birthday! The girls are checking out ladies day at the aqua park this afternoon, and I can’t wait to hear some good stories. We’ll have dinner this evening at a Lebanese restaurant Meredith picked out, and then she made herself a homemade carrot cake. It’s going to be a good evening!

Starbucks. Hi. My name is Cory, and I’m addicted to Starbucks. There is a Starbucks on campus, and that’s bad news for me! It’s so easy to walk over and get an iced Americano to get me through the morning. But, I also have will power. I’ve told myself that I am allowed a trip to Starbucks on Sunday and Thursday mornings. However, today I had the money laying on my desk, but I put it away. I’m a rock.

Dress code. Check out the reminders sent to the student body about the dress code. I found it quite humorous. For those of you in education, you might your administrators if they can send this out to your students. I didn’t do any editing on this email…this is exactly how it was sent to students. Enjoy!
  • No offensive pictures or writing on your t-shirts. Mind you FCUK cuts it really close. That is about as edgy as one should get! When you wear the t-shirts that have explicit sexual references; that is unacceptable.
  • Guys, if you wear short-shorts, that in and of itself is a violation. Please don’t hurt our eyes!!

  • Ladies you are wearing low-rise jeans, we do not need to see the G-string (as attractive as it may be in your opinion). This means your t-shirt or blouse must be a bit longer.

  • Guys, when you wear jeans and your Calvin’s are showing, that is unacceptable. Pull ‘em up and get a belt!

  • When you wear those cutie shorts, minis, etc. you must put on leggings. It may be HOT as the dickens and you may have fantastic legs but…

  • If you have on a shrift and when you bend over, your goodies can be seen, that is not good! Get a longer shrift (won’t be as fashionable but get a longer one or wear leggings!)

  • If your blouse is cut so low that the “girls” are noticed before your beautiful smile, it will make others frown!

  • Sleeves! Not sleeveless; tanks must have an over-shirt. Guys this goes for you too. Don’t want your pecks peeking!

2 comments: